- We are in full swing with our spelling program. Your child will bring home a list of 10 words (plus 5 second grade "core" words) each Friday in their Homework Folders. Please help them practice their spelling words at home. You will find lots of ideas to practice spelling on the back of the "100 Minute Reading Club" sheet.
- Readers have been busy at work reviewing decoding strategies, retelling stories and reading aloud in groups. Students use their leveled reading books for word work and repeated reading to build fluency.
- Our shared readings this week focused on telling the "who, what, where, when and why" of a story. We worked together to identify these important key details of two books and then students created a story flag based on one of the books.
- Students continued to practice Combinations of 10 facts.
- They described, drew and sorted 2-D and 3-D shapes.
- They were introduced to quadrilaterals (any shape with 4 sides and 4 angles) and a more formal definition of rectangles (a quadrilateral with 4 right angles). They also learned that a square was a special kind of rectangle and they found that very surprising!
- Second grade shared insect and spider facts at our Skillin community meeting on Tuesday.
- We learned facts about spiders and compared/contrasted spiders and insects.
- A beekeeper will visit second grade next week!
Thank you for reading,