Reading Workshop Rotations
We spent a good chunk of time practicing reading workshop rotations this week. From 9:30-10:45 each day, children will be engaged in small group activities while I meet with guided reading groups. This is a very important time of day (as you can imagine!) so we spent this week practicing the rotations and expectations.
The rotations are:
- Guided Reading - students will learn to decode and comprehend texts at increasing levels of difficulty
- iPads - students will use a variety of apps to reinforce literacy and math skills (i.e. Starfall, RAZ Kids, Sumdog)
- Snack & Books
- Word Work- students will practice building and writing words using various materials such as magnetic letters, white boards and journals
We spent lots of time playing addition games and discussing tools and strategies that are helpful for adding numbers. Tools include number lines, 100 grids, counting fingers and connecting cubes. All of these tools provide a helpful visual for combining quantities and seeing the total as a larger number. Addition strategies include counting on (beginning with the larger addend and counting up the smaller addend) and counting all.
- Picture Day - Tuesday, Sept. 26th
- Early Release - Wednesday, Sept. 27th (Children will be dismissed at 12:35. Please notify me if your child's dismissal will be different on this day)
- Open House - Thursday, Sept. 28th. Parents will rotate through the first grade classrooms (beginning in our own room) to hear about learning targets in math, literacy and technology. Please arrive at 5:00!