- Second grade reading groups have begun! All second graders have been placed into flexible reading groups (this means students can move between groups as needed based on their individual reading goals). Students will receive 45 minutes of targeted reading instruction at their reading levels each day. The focus for all reading groups at this point is to work on telling beginning, middle and ending events of a story in order.
- We read picture books titled Possum's Harvest Moon and Frederick and used these to discuss the who, what, where, when and why of a story.
- Our focus this week was "adding more" to our stories by rereading and including important details. Writers had fun telling about a fantasy trip they would like to take.
- We are also focusing on using punctuation at the end of sentences. They even helped me with punctuation in our morning messages!
- We wrapped up our geometry unit this week. Students did a wonderful job sorting and comparing 2D and 3D shapes. They became experts on building and describing rectangles as well!
- We reviewed fact families - a fact family is a group of numbers related through addition and subtraction. For example: 3, 5 8. Ask your child to show you the equations that go with this family.
- We spent lots of time practicing addition and subtraction facts with single digit numbers.
- We wrapped up our Insects & Spiders unit with a presentation by Phil Gavin from the Honey Exchange. He taught the second graders all about honeybees and even brought a beehive and two varieties of honey for students to sample. They really enjoyed his presentation!
- We will begin a social studies unit on Communities next week.
- There is no school on Wednesday, November 11th as we observe Veteran's Day.